>>>>

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Day Before T Day...

And all through the house....

Not a creature is stirring, not even my spouse...

Who has settled himself in the living room recliner, meds on the chair side table (Along with other necessities for surgery recuperation, like Carmel Nips for an anesthesia based sore throat and a water bottle that he can drink from without dribbling!) remote in hand, laptop next to him, iphone right there, wrapped in quilts. This morning? Well on the mend.

We all had a good night's sleep, but I awoke...oh yes, I awoke...to the sound of SQUIRRELS in the eaves or behind the walls. (((*@#&$(*&@#$(*&))) We thought we'd patched the holes, and I have those electronic pest repellers plugged in, but this time of the year, the scratching and scrambling has returned with the little nest building buggers. Oscar was even aware there was something going on behind that wall...he was meowing, tail twitching, just waiting....but it can't be seen, just heard, and there is no way to get at it from within the room itself.

I got nearly two sides of the binding hand stitched down last night, and I'll probably finish the rest tonight, but today...what to do?!

I figured out that if I want to do a pieced border or something on the pineapple quilt, that I need only SIXTEEN more blocks and I am DONE! It's an OH NO! Moment, because I certainly hoped it would use up a lot more scraps than this. I need to keep finding scrappy paper-piece-y patterns that will use these gems. They are so fun and so cute, and the incredible variety of fabrics and colors just makes me so happy. SOOOOO..figuring out what to do with borders is on the list.

I've got the last quilt from Lisa to throw on the machine. She and Karen are coming over for a sew day on Saturday and I can get that going then.



I've also got THIS beauty that came home with me from PA that I could quilt up quickly! I just love finding quirky happy scrappy quilts, and this one came from the same antique mall as the Lemoyne Star I showed you yesterday. Isn't it FUNGLY!?



I put it over the quilting machine rails to see if I could get a better pic of the colors, more light down here even if I don't have floor space! Yes, that is my kitchen floor above, so you now know that I don't have a very large kitchen either, which is fine with me. LESS. TO. CLEAN!



This quilter even mitered the corners on this top! I love the fabrics...you know, I've said before, I'm not a big fan of 30's reproduction cutesy quilts. Too much muslin,((Don't even get me started on the use of way too much white-on-white in reproductions..bleh!)) only the pretty sweet fabrics, none of the every day fabrics that I love to see in a quilt from that time period! This is a great example of the kind of 30's - 40's quilts I DO LOVE!



Stripes, Plaids, Geometrics and Dots, weird combinations in colors and fabric choices, some really fungly-uglies, NOT just baby bunnies and little umbrellas and overload-of-pastel-sweetness. THIS! This makes me smile!



Aren't these fabrics great? There are also several decades of scraps in this quilt. It's hard to date plaids and stripes, but the fabrics include some mourning prints from an earlier time period. I also love the substitution if not enough of one fabric was available! And that green in the center? I believe it to be way earlier than 1930.



If I were to ask you to pick my fave block for me, I just know you would choose this one, and you'd be right! :c)

Remarkably, this quilt is SQUARE, not a trapezoid :c) It's 78" X 78"....and I have a hankering to load it on the machine today and turn this long-time-flimsy into a real quilt!

11 comments:

  1. good luck getting the squirrels out!!! And love the churn dash top its really quirky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:34 AM EST

    I can see why you were attracted that that quilt Bonnie, I don't think I could've passed it by either. I can picture it on a simple iron post bed in a farmhouse bedroom with dormered windows. Old quilts always make me imagine where they came from and who made them so I'm very anxious to see how you quilt it.

    I'm wondering, Bonnie, if you ever pick up vibes from old quilts that kind of let you know how best to quilt them?

    Gail :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes looking at that quilt top is like a little treasure hunt.....even down to the half square block turned the wrong way :0)....I think I'm getting old....I have some of those scraps don't I?
    Well Bonnie I am so enjoying your new mystery that I think I am going to jump in and do another color palate. thanks for all you do :0)

    Happy Thanksgiving..and make sure your Sweetie drinks plenty of fluids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear hubby is on the mend and taking it easy. Oh, squirrels, ugh. Hope they are easy to get rid of so you can sleep. Love the quilt top, great variety in it. Load it up and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the same block I was doing my fungly project in! I still think it was made circa 1930 but by someone with a very deep stash...can you believe it someone who hoarded scraps! What was she thinking?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie,
    I so enjoy reading your posts, books and patterns. Thank you for all you do to promote quilting and the joy of scraps. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    Karen
    Charlotte, NC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This is the same pattern that my great gram made and she did the same thing -- substitute pieces, piece pieces and there are even some spots! Love it, You need to see. However, I am putting it together more traditional. My dad isn't into the more modern fungly kinda stuff (Nice word by the way!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm wondering what pattern you will quilt in this Fungly quilt too. Love that she left all the boo's boo's in. You didn't say how much they charged for this one... I have to ask, since I don't get to shop the fun places you do and find these fung-ly quilts. I have to live through you... Kudos to DH for entertaining himself, sorry about the squirrels. Happy Turkey DAY!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one of those quilts you can just look at everyday and see something new! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm drawn to the scrappy, quirky quilts that you seem to love. They remind me of the way my grandma quilted. I always wondered where all the ugl...er fungly fabrics that she used in her quilts came from. I couldn't imagine that they had been from her clothes. Then my mom told me she would get bags of scraps from Montgomery Wards mail order. I also found out that she didn't start quilting until she was 56 (in 1936), the same age I was last year when I made my first quilt. I get such inspiration from that. Her quilts were meant to be used, and they were used up. (She only had a potbellied stove in the living room so the bedrooms were pretty darn cold!) I only have a few tops left that were never quilted. They were made when she was quite old and her eyesight had failed. They aren't very well made, and they're not in good shape anymore, but I love looking at them and feeling them. Thanks for posting your finds. I always love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll bet some quilter up in Heaven is saying...
    Finally!!! Now I can rest! I've been waiting for someone to finish that quilt! Hope you had an enjoyable time doing it too! Sooo much history in it... don't they just breath on their own?

    ReplyDelete

If you are commenting as "anonymous" please leave your name at the end of your comment.

Did you know that ad space on this blog provides for all of the free patterns and free mysteries and challenges at no cost to you? Without ads, this blog would not be possible.

Thank you for understanding the many hours that go into this blog 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year. :)